Please read first post for a good bye

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Coming Back

Ridgefeather stood by the lake. He hadn't been here for so long. He waded into the frigid water, gasping at the cold. He padded back out, shaking his pelt out. Maple and the kits were by the camp, and he ran back to them. Maple looked over her shoulder, and Ridgefeather breathed in deeply. He hadn't been here since he left to get his full name. His pelt twitched with anxiety, then they padded towards the entrance. He stopped when a black and white cat walked out. Ridgefeather stood rigid as the cat looked up. His eyes going from shock to sorrow, to a bit of anger and remorse.

"Ridgefeather."

Nestflame spoke lowly, his eyes flickering over Maple and the two kits.

"Why are you here?"

He narrowed his eyes slightly.

"Nestflame. I... we... Please forgive me."

He hung his head low, and Nestflame seemed surprised.

"I know what I've done is wrong. But I can't change the past, and I'm not sure I'd want to. When I became a medicine cat, I knew what my path was. I never wanted a mate, all I wanted to do was serve my clan. But maybe StarClan had a different plan for me. And maybe this was it."

He beckoned for Maple, Ink and Oakkit to come forward. The two kits gazed up at Nestflame, wondering who he was.

"We want to join the clan. Our two-leg nest was destroyed in a fire. In only want Maple and my kits to be safe. Leaf-bare is coming, and we can't survive without a clan. If I have to leave, then I will for their safety. I'll do whatever it takes."

Nestflame looked at the two kits.

"Come inside. We'll talk to Dreamstar."

Maple looked at Ridgefeather quickly, before padding in, the kits following. He took a deep breath, before he followed them in too.

When Ridgefeather walked in, he glanced at everything. The camp hadn't changed much, and he recognized most of the cats. He saw Strongspirit look up from the Nursery entrance, three kits, probably 4 moons old, playing near her. Her eyes went wide as she saw the old medicine cat. Grief still hung in the back of her eyes from Markstar's death, but the birth of her kits had helped take her mind off it. Cats stared at Ridgefeather, their hackles rising. He still wore his collar, and it jingled quietly. Maple too had a collar, so how would they judge him?

Dreamstar's den couldn't come soon enough, and they slipped inside. Nestflame dipped his head to Dreamstar and Rippleblaze. Rippleblaze was laying down, his scars finally starting to heal and turn more gray than pink. Ridgefeather stifled a gasp as he saw Rippleblaze. What had happened? Dreamstar stood up quickly, surveying the newcomers. Her eyes located Ridgefeather, and she narrowed her eyes.

"Ridgefeather...?"

He lowered his head, suddenly wishing he had no collar. Nestflame then spoke.

"Yes. It told you most of what happened. But I never told you about them."

He flicked his tail at Maple, Ink and Oakkit. Dreamstar nodded.

"What are your names?"

Maple cleared her throat.

"My name is Maple, and these are my kits. Ink-"

She looked at her black kit who had piercing blue eyes. Then she looked at the red tom who looked more like Ridgefeather.

"And... Oakkit."

Dreamstar narrowed her eyes then looked at Ridgefeather, her eyes seeming to linger on the collar much too long.

"Who are these cats?"

Ridgefeather looked away.

"I asked you a question. As your leader-"

Ridgefeather then looked at her.

"Currently, I don't have a clan. My life was one of a kitty-pet. I don't remember ever seeing or hearing a patrol looking for me. I know you aren't to blame for that. But Markstar was growing sick. Your deputy could have sent patrols out. My home is with them."

He moved close to Maple, his pelt brushing hers. Dreamstar's eyes narrowed even more.

"So, these are your kits? What happened to being a medicine cat? Nestflame never wanted to take on another apprentice, as he still had hope Rosedawn would come back. I asked him to, because I saw how much you loved it. You're also my kin Ridgefeather. I expected better of you."

Ridgefeather flinched.

"I can leave. I just want them to be safe. Our nest was burned down, and the two-leg died. We have no where to go. But my mate and kits have done nothing wrong to not be accepted. I'll leave if that means they can stay."

Maple shot Ridgefeather a quick despairing look. Dreamstar studied Ridgefeather carefully.

"What would you do here? Would you be able to be a medicine cat? Would you want to? You've never had warrior training. The clan would look down on you. Rosedawn was accepted by StarClan again because she had to complete something. In the end her sorrow was too much. She wanted too much. She wanted to be able to associate with her kits as a mother, not just another clanmate. Icycurrent's sorrow through her off too. He loved her, and was depressed when she turned him away. It drove her mad and she left."

He sighed.

"I can learn. If not, then I'll leave. And you'll never see me again. I swear."

Dreamstar lifted her head.

"I'll give you 1 moon and a half to try to get to a newly made warrior level. Maple can train with you, but she can stay no matter what. If you can't do that, then you must leave. But you must still go on patrols and hunt. You'll have to fit battle training in."

Ridgefeather felt himself tremble. So short a time. It took apprentices 6 moons or more to become a warrior... But if he wanted to stay he would have to try as hard as he could. He nodded, and Dreamstar dismissed them. He looked at Nestflame quickly who was looking at the ground. He looked weighed down with sorrow and longing, and Ridgefeather felt a pain in his heart.

As Ridgefeather walked into the clearing the clan gave him suspicious glares. He stayed close to Maple's side, their kits looking at all the cats in front of them. Hopefully they'll be treated good. They deserve a good life. They padded to the nursery, where Strongspirit nodded slightly.

"Welcome back."

Ridgefeather dipped his head slightly.

"Is it okay if Maple, Oakkit and Ink stay here?"

She nodded.

"Of course. Any Queen and kits are welcome. You will be too Ridgefeather. Give them time. "

Ridgefeather sighed and nodded, letting Maple get settled in. He looked back and saw Strongspirit's three kits gathering around Ink and Oakkit. His kits were older, and a bit bigger. Ink boasted and held his head high. Ridgefeather shook his head and then kept his head low as he stood in the clearing. Where did he go? He glanced at the medicine cat's den, and shook himself out. He would never be allowed to sleep in there.  He heard fast pawsteps coming toward him then saw Coastpebble looking relieved.

"Ridgefeather. It's you. It's really you. The clan said you were here, but I wasn't sure."

She nuzzled his cheek but he didn't move. Coastpebble had aged in the year he had been gone. Gray hairs had come around her muzzle. The stress. The worry and sorrow. It got to her. His pelt prickled. He had to stay now. He couldn't let his mother get any worse. Maple would be fine without him. She would be upset, but she would survive. But Coastpebble, would she? She had lost her mate and son on the same day. Ridgefeather licked her cheek finally.

"Come. You can have a nest beside me."

Ridgefeather nodded and crept into the warriors den. He had only been in here to treat any cats. Now this would be where he would sleep. The sun was still up, but Ridgefeather decided to rest. He stopped though. My collar. He backed out of the den and went back to the Nursery. Maple looked up. Strongspirit had got them settled in. He smiled.

"Our collars. We need to get rid of them, or the clan will never accept us."

Slight pain flashed through her eyes, but she nodded. Ridgefeather bent down and took her collar in between his teeth. He ground it in between his teeth until he felt it starting to tear. He gave it one last swift bite and it felt off with a muffled clatter. Then he bent down and let Maple bite his off. He licked her cheek quickly, and gave the two sleeping kits swift licks too.

"I'll be back later."

She nodded, and he bounded away back to the Warriors Den.




2 comments:

✠Ember✠ said...

Nestflame bowed his head, clenching his teeth. His apprentice was back, with his kits, and mate. Becoming a warrior. So many conflicting feelings were bottling up inside him. Warrior Codes... Mates and Medicine Cats. He had no control over who exited, then suddenly re-entered his life. He took a deep breath. He needed to gather herbs, low on lavender, catmint and goldenrod. He needed catmint, leaf-are was aproaching. He new some grew near the Border to the Two-legs, and lavender too. It was a nice day, as nice as it could be this close to leaf-bare.
"Just need to get my mind off things" he muttered.

~-~Nestflame~-~

Featheredkit looked at the new cats curiosly "Hmm." she looked at her brother and sister questioningly. She took a step toward the cats, they were a little bigger, just a little. She puffed out her chest, trying to look bigger "A-and who are you?" she asked.

~-~Featheredkit~-~

Sweetkit tumbled clumsily over to the new kits. She smiled warmly, bouncing happily "Don't mind Featheredkit, she tries to be all tough." Sweetkit shook her head rolling her eyes "Well, anyway, they call me Sweetkit," she purred, "And my brother over there is Crowkit, I mentioned Featheredkit. What do they call you?"

~-~Sweetkit~-~

☪Dream said...

Ink lifted his head.

"I'm Ink and my brother Oakkit."

Oakkit shot him a quick glare for introducing him when he so obviously wanted to.

:~~Ink:

Ridgefeather tossed in his nest. There were too many cats. To many sounds and it was so warm. He was used to sleeping with only a few cats at a time. He groaned slightly and got up and padded out of the camp into the forest, for the first time in seasons.

:~Ridgefeather: