Please read first post for a good bye

Monday, October 31, 2011

Where Loyalty Lies

Dreamstar glanced up as she saw Singe and Burst pad into the camp. Singe was carrying the lifeless body of Silhouettegaze. Her eye's widened, and she stared at the young warrior. Singe stare at the ground, tears flowing quietly. Dreamstar glanced at the Nursery. She saw Strongspirit look out of the den, and winced as the queen's eyes filled with disbelief. She wailed and ran over to her kit.

"Silhouettegaze! W-what happened?"

She looked up at Burst and Singe. Burst spoke.

"We were attacked. I couldn't see who it was, but we fought them off. But Silhouettegaze was too badly injured. She died before we even got close to the camp. We came straight back, so I don't know where the rest of the patrol is."

He spoke to Dreamstar, not Strongspirit who had her face buried in the she-cat's fur.

"This is the second warrior that has died this moon. The clan shall mourn for her, and honour her spirit. We'll prepare her for vigil."

Nestflame padded up to Silhouettegaze and Singe. He gave Strongspirit some poppy seeds and thyme. She licked them up self-consciously. Singe stared at the herbs, and licked them up, but only because Nestflame was watching carefully. Crowkit, Featheredkit and Sweetkit watched from the den, their eyes wide as they watched their mother grieve. Silhouettegaze's siblings padded up to Strongspirit, and lied down next to her. Wanderpath licked her mother's ear.

"She's with Markstar now."

Strongspirit nodded slightly, and Maple swept her three young kits away from the entrance back into the den.

"She'll be okay, come sleep. It's getting late."

The three kits nodded and curled close to Maple and her two kits.

The rest of the patrol soon came back, little bits of prey in their mouths. Ridgefeather saw Silhouettegaze then looked at Burst who was still standing near by. This was the first time Burst had every looked directly at Burst. He gasped and stumbled backwards. Burst narrowed his eyes and turned his tail and walked away to the warriors den. Ridgefeather shook, and ran to Nestflame's den. He hesitated though, then took a deep breath and padded in. Nestflame was preparing herbs for Silhouettgaze's vigil. He looked up, his eyes flashing.

"What do you need Ridgefeather? I'm busy."

He took a shaky breath and spoke.

"I just saw Burst. His eyes. I've seen them before. Not just in the clan. Before that. I would never forget those eyes.  I-i think he was the one who attacked us. He tried to kill me."

Nestflame's head snapped up.

"How can you be sure? You could have been imagining stuff. You were mere tail lengths away from StarClan. Burst has been a loyal warrior ever since he came."

Ridgefeather looked shocked.

"Y-you don't trust me?"

Nestflame sighed, then his voice turned sharper.

"You left the clan Ridgefeather... You left your duties, and you broke the Warrior Code. So no, I don't trust you. How can I? I want things to be like they used to. I miss you. Like I miss Rosedawn. I lost you and her. How do you think that makes me feel as a mentor and a friend? You both had kits. It's not fair. I've always wanted to be a medicine cat, it was my dream. I don't want any other life. But sometimes, I wish I could fall in love. It's not fair how you both got off the hook when you broke the Warrior Code. If you can break the Code, then why can't any cat?"

Ridgefeather looked away.

"I never wanted-"

Nestflame shook his head.

"I'm busy. I have a clan to look after, as you saw a warrior just died. The last time I checked you had kits to go and see."

Nestflame flicked his tail and turned away, not wanting Ridgefeather to see the deep sorrow that was in his eyes. Ridgefeather shook slightly, and started to pad out. He just caught the quiet whisper of Nestflame.

"Though, I'm proud of you Ridgefeather. You've turned into a fine cat, and you make a good father."

The warrior in training didn't respond as he padded across the clearing. Licking Silhoettegaze's pelt before he went to the Nursery.



44 comments:

✠Ember✠ said...

Nestflame shivered thinking of those Icy blue eyes. Why had Ridgefeather brought them up again. The nightmares of what had happened so many moons ago still haunted him. He shook, that cat... well, it couldn't be in this clan. It was dangerous, deadly.

Two deaths.... Icy blue eyes....

Nestflame shook his head, his fur standing on edge. Ridgefeather couldn't be right.

Lots of cats have blue eyes.
Lots of them.

~-~Nestflame~-~

Strongspirit buried her nose into her dead daughters fur. "No..." she sobbed not wanting to leave her daughter's side, but the poppy seeds were doing wonders, she began close her eyes...

She woke up in a bright sunny meadow. Like the ones she used to dream of when she was a young kit, so long ago when Sorrelpaw was alive and Markstar was her best friend.

She felt lighter than a feather, she rolled in catmint, chased butterflies, she was like a kit again. Sorrelpaw was there, Markstar, all her kits. Alive. Healthy.

Then, she woke up. It couldn't have been more then a few minutes she'd fallen asleep. And there was cold reality. Her daughter, cold, dead. Without Markstar, or Sorrelpaw. Half of her kits were dead. She couldn't stand to loose any more, not now...

She began to sob again

~-~Strongspirit~-~

βяɛɛʓɛ said...

Flash's tail bristled. He let out a low growl from the back of his throat and stalked over to Singe. he kneeled next to his brother and tried to make his tail lie flat.
I'm sorry, brother...
He flicked his tail on his shoulder and turned on his heels to the warriors den. His blazing eyes rested on Burst.
"That was stupid, and you know it." He growled, but he couldn't understand. He was the only one of the three that hadnt made any attachments.

✠Ember✠ said...

Singe turned to Flash, his eyes grateful "Thank-you brother, but I am no better. Anyway, we musn't fight, lets just, prepare. The sooner we're out of here the better." his voice was deathly calm. He glanced scornfully at the camp before padding over to the fresh-kill pile, but wasn't very hungry. He never was, not since she died.

~-~Singe~-~

☪Dream said...

Burst narrowed his eyes.

"Nothing's fair anymore, is it?"

:~~Burst:

βяɛɛʓɛ said...

Flash rolled his eyes.
"I can't understand how you feel. Nothing has ever been fair to me, now has it?" his voice was laced with bitter contempt.
"I was always the one left out of your stupid little love lives. I watched as you both fell in love, found things to save, but me? I stayed loyal to the mission." His ears slowly flattened to his head and he whipped around. His words were hissed through clenched teeth. "I just want to end things here. I want it to all be over, so I don't have to listen to either of you whine and moan because you let something happen that was never going to happen."

☪Dream said...

Burst snarled.

"It was happening! I would've stayed here at the end. She accepted me for who I was! She knew our secret. And, I will find her again. I don't want this path anymore. I only want her."

:~~Burst:

✠Ember✠ said...

Singe snarled at Flare "You would never understand anyway. I wouldn't have either a few moons ago. But nothing else matters anymore. I am going to be tortured for eternity because I can never be with her. She's in StarClan. I will never be." he looked away trying to hide his weakness. When he spoke again, his voice was barely more than a whisper "Burst. What other path do we have. I ask you... becuase I see no way out. No way to be with her. You know that."

Singe flicked his tail, his eyes glassy as he gazed up at the sky

~-~Singe~-~

☪Dream said...

*He narrowed his eyes*

I'm going to change my life. I will be with Ebonywing. I think my whole being relies on it. When we were told our mission, I never knew this would happen. I was very different back then.

:~~Burst:

✠Ember✠ said...

Singe didn't take his eyes off the sky "So, you're going to abandon the whole mission? Ignore all our training??" he chuckled "What if someone speaks your name? We'll always be dangerous. We're better off dead."

~-~Singe~-~

☪Dream said...

No one knows my name except you two... and Ebonywing. But she's gone.

*He looked away.*

I don't care about our training. When we left the Dark Forest, we were 6 moons old! We would have been that age forever. Now, we've grown. If we stay here longer, we'll continue to get older and weaker.

:~~Burst:

✠Ember✠ said...

Singe nodded "But our duty is our duty. You may be able to redeem yourself but I cannot. If I don't do my duty, well what will happen to me in the dark forest huh? I killed Ebonywing, and finished off Silhouettegaze, I am doomed Burst."

~-~Singe~-~

☪Dream said...

*Burst's voice reduced to a whisper.*

You made me kill Ebonywing... I killed her with my own teeth. I killed Silhouettgaze too. You just made the pain go away. If anyone should go back to the Dark Forest, it should be me. I almost killed Ridgefeather. I killed his father.

*He shook his head, feeling something for the first time. Guilt*

:~~Burst:

✠Ember✠ said...

"We all did that. Together." Singe smiled "And you'll be with her. Even if I get punished. And tell Silhouettegaze I'm s-sorry. But what about the mission? I can't just... leave it."

~-~Singe~-~

☪Dream said...

I'm the one who is going to be punished! I'm supposed to lead the attack! I was assigned to be the leader.

*He lashed his tail.*

That was a bad choice.

:~~Burst:

✠Ember✠ said...

Singe nodded "Not gonna disagree with your. But what we gonna do? Thats a question you've been avoiding."

~-~Singe~-~

☪Dream said...

Figure it out yourself. I don't care.

:~~Burst:

✠Ember✠ said...

Singe felt hopelessly lost "Burst, your the leader. I need your help. I don't want to do this any more than you do."

~-~Singe~-~

(Just realized I called flash Flare on one of my comments. xD)

☪Dream said...

*Burst flattened his ears.*

You lost the right of wanting my help.

:~~Burst:

✠Ember✠ said...

Singe hissed "Fine then. I'll kill you along with all the stupid clan." his eyes hardened and he looked away from the sky "Good luck Burst. Have fun with Ebonywing." he spat at Burst

~-~Singe~-~

☪Dream said...

*Burst bared his teeth.*

I bet Silhouettegaze hates you. She probably never actually loved you!

:~~Burst:

✠Ember✠ said...

"And then you killed her!" Singe spat back, looking wounded "When she didn't even love me. And I'M the bad one."

~-~Singe~-~

☪Dream said...

Why would it matter if she didn't love you?

*Burst glared, only trying to hurt him with words.*

:~~Burst:

✠Ember✠ said...

Singe hissed "She loved me. She knew about me. And she didn't run."

~-~Singe~-~

☪Dream said...

*Burst snorted*

I would've ran from your face.

:~~Burst:

( XD Someone's in a mood!)

✠Ember✠ said...

"I'm surprised Ebonywing didn't run from yours!"

~-~Singe~-~

(Soooo moody. They were all like "Oh I love you brother!" now they're like "Rawr!")

☪Dream said...

I saved her life when she was dying in the snow. I gave her a reason to live when he clan was destroyed! Silhouettegaze just wanted a play toy! So she used YOU!

:~~Burst:

(Ohh brotherly love :) )

✠Ember✠ said...

Singe's eyes flared, but his voice was deathly calm "You can go ask her when your in saintly StarClan with the rest of this pathetic Clan." He unsheathed his claws silently "or, do you want to join them early?"

~-~Singe~-~

☪Dream said...

*Burst smirked.*

Just try to kill me. I'll welcome it.

:~~Burst:

✠Ember✠ said...

"I'll kill you. AFTER I've made you kill the whole clan with me, just like I made you kill your precious Ebonywing." Singe wasn't quite sure if his threat was empty or not

~-~Singe~-~

☪Dream said...

*Burst narrowed his eyes.*

I won't let you hurt the clan. They've done nothing but welcome us while we're planning to destroy them. I'll fight you. I'll fight myself too.

:~~Burst:

(Myself as in Break ;) )

✠Ember✠ said...

Singe shook his head "I can't do it Burst." he hissed "I'm weak. I can't do it. Why have I grown weak?!"

~-~Singe~-~

☪Dream said...

Cause living amongst these cats have softened us.

*A realization hit Burst.*

We were used. He(don't know who he is yet, but like the cat that sent them >.<") used us, as he knew this would happen. We're a part in his plan. And... I don't think we'll have a choice if we fight or not.

:~~Burst:

✠Ember✠ said...

Singe's eyes widened"I should've known. I was soooo honored. Oh, we were so stupid as kits."

~-~Singe~-~

☪Dream said...

That's only a guess. So don't get your hopes up of being used. As I know how much you love that.

:~~Burst:

✠Ember✠ said...

Singe rolled his eyes "At least I had her longer than you had Ebonywing."

~-~Singe~-~

☪Dream said...

*Burst bared his teeth*

You faked loving her at first. So that's a lie!

:~~Burst:

(I like how they're fighting about the cats they loved. xD)

✠Ember✠ said...

"I always loved her. It was never pretend!" he hissed

~-~Singe~-~

(I knoww)

☪Dream said...

Sureee you did.

:~~Burst:

✠Ember✠ said...

Singe hissed "What would you know, You only had a mate for a couple of moons!"

~-~Singe~-~

☪Dream said...

*Burst snarled* It was not a few moons!

:~~Burst:

✠Ember✠ said...

Singe rolled his eyes "Might as well have been. It doesn't matter. You'll never see her again."

~-~Singe~-~

☪Dream said...

That's what you don't seem to understand. I still have my memories, so I see her everyday.

:~~Burst:

βяɛɛʓɛ said...

Flash's eyes flicked from burst to Singe and back, then they slowly narrowed. His voice was low, a hint of fear shadowed by his solemnness.
"We were made from the blood and shadows of the Dark Forest.Nor born, made. We were created for the purpose he wanted us to do. Why should we try and break free...We're just monsters..." His eyes flicked to the ground and his tail drooped.

✠Ember✠ said...

Singe nodded "And we'll be forced into this." he shrugged "We cannot be reconciled."

~-~Singe~-~